hile most of Chilean vineyards were planted in areas surrounding the capital city, Santiago, Don Maximiano Errázuriz, driven by his visionary spirit, set his sights towards the north, in search of an exceptional terroir. After covering one hundred kilometers in two days on horseback, he discovered a viticultural paradise in the Aconcagua Valley, where he founded Viña Errázuriz in 1870, declaring that “from the best land, the best wine.”
Don Maximiano was a visionary businessman, born into a family of Basque origin, who played a key role in the country’s political and economic life. In those years, he built a magnificent wine cellar, conceived as a two-storey structure with an enormous basement, which allowed for storing a total of six million litres.
DON MAXIMIANO ICON WINERY
In 2009 the need to project itself into the XXI century and to search for wines of an even higher quality, inspired Viña Errázuriz to start building a new winery devoted exclusively to its high-end range of wines. Here, the integration of cutting edge technologies has gone hand-in-hand with sustainability and environmental protection, thus paying homage to Don Maximiano’s visionary and courageous spirit.
With a capacity to produce 347,000 litres, the new Don Maximiano Icon Winery was designed by the architect Samuel Claro and built completely with bleached concrete. Its main body is underground and its spiral shape allows for the movement of fruits and liquids by means of gravity and to capture the refreshing breezes from the valley.
To maintain adequate levels of temperature and illumination the building harnesses geothermal and solar energy, which are completely environment friendly.
The winery was officially opened in October 2010 with more than 100 guests from all over the world, including leaders of the industry and the specialist press.
BANQUET AND TASTING ROOM
[ VIÑA ERRAZURIZ | PANQUEHUE | VALPARAISO REGION | CHILE | PROVIDED BY: www.errazuriz.com ]